12 November 1922, despite the difficult post-revolutionary period, the time of destruction and famine in the Ukrainian capital has opened the Museum of Russian Art. Its grand opening was timed to celebrate the 5-year anniversary of the end of the October Revolution. Initially the museum was named as the Kiev Art Gallery. Basis of his exposition marked the private collection of family Tereshchenko, whose members were major industrialists, philanthropists and benefactors. In the museum's exhibit also includes artistic values, nationalized after the revolution of 1917. Two years later, namely in 1919, they were collected into a separate fund of the museum, which mostly consisted of sites related to Russian culture.
Private collection of family Tereshchenko and homes houses belonging to it and situated in the central part of the capital in the 70-80 years of 19 century, marked the beginning of several museums in Kiev. Among them, the museum TG Shevchenko, the Museum of Russian Art, the Museum of Western and Oriental art, as well as the National Art Museum. Three of them are located in those houses that formerly belonged to the family of Shevchenko. The fourth building was erected with their help and participation.
In 1877, the hall the Noble Assembly in Kiev organized the first exhibition of FA Tereshchenko. Its purpose was supported by the Kyiv Drawing School M. Murashko. In order for this exhibit is a permanent position, Tereshchenko palace erected on the street Alexeyev. At present there and the Museum of Russian Art. It is worth noting that the daughter Tereshchenko after his father's death continued to collect works of art, and her brother Ivan has brought to this collection of paintings of Ukrainian and Russian artists. Further adding to the collection dealt with the wife of Ivan Nikolaevich. Thanks to her efforts in the collection of family Shevchenko appeared nearly two hundred works Vrubel. Today, pride of the museum are works such Wrubel, like "Girl on a background of peach carpet, as well as watercolors Head of the Demon" and "Oriental Tale."
In wartime, the collection was lost, and the majority of works of art were evacuated to Kiev, where they were later transported to Ufa. Work, remaining in the capital was transferred to Keninsberg, and then to the castle Vildengof in which they, unfortunately, burnt down during a severe fire. Artifacts to their homeland have returned at the end of 1944. The most flourishing period of the museum was in the 60-80-ies. At this time the museum is actively engaged in exhibition activities as well as government procurement, liaising with artists, and, therefore, to fill up his collection.
For the most part museum exhibition consists of objects of ancient Russian icon painting. The most valuable exhibits is an ancient icon of St. George and the dragon "and an icon of" Boris and Gleb ", written in 13 century. Also among the most valuable specimens in the museum displays objects of portraiture, painting 19 th century, including works by famous artists: Shishkin, Repin, Ghe, Vereshchagin, Archaeology. A significant part of the museum's collection are works Wanderers, as well as objects in the style of symbolism and Art Nouveau. Museum collection consists of art associations early 20 century, for example, the Union of Russian Artists "and" World of Art ". The largest section of the museum is the section on Soviet art, formed in the period from 1917 to 1991. For example, here exhibited works of the older generation: B. Johanson, Y. Pimenov, S. Gerasimov, A. Plastov, N. Romadina and some others. Also in the museum's collection is the creation of the next generation of authors: V. Kalinin, V. Popkov, P. Ossovsky, AN Andronov, D. Zhilinsky, NM Nesterova, NM Erysheva and many others.
Exhibition of the Museum of Russian Art was built according to historical and chronological order, on which there are lined up all the major stages in the development of Russian painting, starting with the 18 century to the present. That is why the exposition presented here is seen by visitors easily. Museum of Russian Art does not have enough display space, so he is not able to fully demonstrate its rich collection of works of art. In connection with this circumstance Kiev museum is constantly looking for new forms of work. For the most part is a regular replacement of certain products in the museum's permanent exhibition, as well as temporary extension of some of its sections, holding exhibitions of works from the mobile reserve fund, which held not only at the museum, but also outside it. So, for example, works of art, the foundation's museum, were presented at exhibitions in Russia, Italy, Germany and Finland.
The funds of the Kiev Museum of Russian Art houses over 12,000 works of art. This paintings, and graphics, and works of decorative art and sculpture. Despite the fact that the museum's collection is not very extensive, its distinguishing feature is a high artistic level of these works, which by their artistic value is ranked third among all the other museums in the former Soviet Union, exceeded only by the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow and the State Russian Museum in St. Petersburg. Currently, the main objectives pursued by the Kiev Museum of Russian Art, are as follows: acquisition, examination, storage, and promotion of artistic works of Russian art.